The inspiration for this grilled chicken dish came from a picture I saw on Facebook a few days ago…it looked delicious! And I’ve been craving it ever since.
I marinated the chicken in a balsamic vinegar marinade for almost 2 hours. (It’s the same marinade I used with my Bruschetta Chicken.) Marinating is such a simple task, and it yields great results! I then topped the chicken with baby spinach, mozzarella, and peppers and popped it all under the broiler until the cheese melted. So good! And healthy too!
Start with the marinade…
- Chop up 2 large cloves of garlic.
- Add 1 package of thinly sliced chicken breasts to a resealable bag.
- Pour in 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar.
- Add 1 tablespoon EVOO.
- Add the garlic.
- Season with s&p.
- Close the bag and massage the chicken until all pieces are fully coated.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. (I had it in the fridge for just about 2…the longer the better really.)
When you are finished marinating the chicken, preheat your grill (or Cuisinart Griddler if you don’t have a yard like me!) to medium-high. (A grill pan would also work just fine.)
- Add the chicken to the grill.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, then flip.
- Continue cooking until the chicken is cooked through.
Once the chicken is done, preheat your broiler to low. (I had it on high because my husband was starving. It definitely almost burnt though! I got it out just in the nick of time. Low is the way to go!)
- Line a baking sheet with tin foil (for easy cleanup!).
- Place the chicken on the baking sheet.
- Top each piece with baby spinach. (Go ahead and rip the leaves into pieces if it makes it easier to fit on top.)
- Sprinkle some shredded mozzarella on top.
- Finish the chicken with a few roasted pepper strips.
- Place under the broiler until the cheese is melted. (Keep your eye on it! You don’t want it to burn.)
Next time, I think I’ll use a thicker cut of chicken breast. Other than that, this was delicious and guilt-free! Enjoy!
P.S. - I added the blog site to the final pictures. What do you think?